Google+





Tuesday, January 22, 2013

3D Month Continues! Jim's 2012 Top Ten 3D Movies Vs. The Results Of Our Reader's Poll!

Ok, so my list has no bearing on who is going to win awards at the 3D Creative Arts Awards for 2012 (only 2 weeks away - can't wait!), but I do have my opinion and where better else to voice it than right here?

Keep in mind my ratings combine my feelings for not only how good the 3D was but also the movie itself (which is different than what I did last year).

Without further ado, here are my selections - have at it! Let me know how yours differs or how much you perfectly agree with me :-)

Top Five 3D Conversions - Re-release:
1. TITANIC 3D
2. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
3. FINDING NEMO
4. MONSTERS INC
5. STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE 

Top Five 3D Conversions:
1. THE AVENGERS
2. JOHN CARTER
3. WRATH OF THE TITANS
4. MEN IN BLACK 3
5. FRANKENWEENIE

Top Five Native 3D Movies:
1. THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
2. LIFE OF PI
3. PROMETHEUS
4. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
5. CIRQUE DU SOLEIL: WORLDS AWAY 

Top Five 3D Animations:
1. RISE OF THE GUARDIANS
2. BRAVE
3. ICE AGE: CONTINENTAL DRIFT
4. THE LORAX
5. HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA

Top Ten Combined:
10. RISE OF THE GUARDIANS
9. CIRQUE DU SOLEIL: WORLDS AWAY
8. WRATH OF THE TITANS
7. JOHN CARTER
6. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
5. TITANIC 3D
4. THE AVENGERS
3. PROMETHEUS
2. LIFE OF PI
1. THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY

Ang Lee's LIFE OF PI was absolutely brilliant and on any other year would have easily took top place for me, but wow - Peter Jackson's HFR 3D was spellbinding! My jaw hadn't been locked open like that since AVATAR. Congratulations to all of my top ten list and more for an outstanding year in 2012. And 2013 promises us even more excitement!

Click to enlarge
And here are the results of the MarketSaw Reader's Poll asking the question: "What was your favorite 3D movies of 2012?"

It looks like we were in agreement on THE HOBBIT but you guys have PROMETHEUS in second spot ahead of LIFE OF PI. While I thoroughly enjoyed Ridley Scott's return to sci-fi, Pi's adventure was enough for me to move it ahead. To each there own - you can't go wrong with any of these top ten movies!

It was surprising to me is how well DREDD fared with you though. I found the 3D was headache inducing but perhaps that was my particular screening. In retrospect though, the CG shots were spectacular in 3D and then when we flipped back to native 3D, it went back to mundane for me. I enjoyed JOHN CARTER and WRATH OF THE TITANS so much more. Do I want more of Karl Urban's Dredd though? Darn right. I want better 3D next time too. DREDD didn't make my top ten.

Stay tuned for our annual MOST ANTICIPATED list of movies for 2013 coming up soon!

Contact Me

Jim Dorey
Editor-in-Chief
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2021, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.